On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 1:05 AM Peter Eisentraut <pe...@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 17.05.24 04:26, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I do*emphatically*  think we need a parking lot.
>
> People seem to like this idea; I'm not quite sure I follow it.  If you
> just want the automated patch testing, you can do that on your own by
> setting up github/cirrus for your own account.  If you keep emailing the
> public your patches just because you don't want to set up your private
> testing tooling, that seems a bit abusive?
>
> Are there other reasons why developers might want their patches
> registered in a parking lot?

It's easier to say what's happening than it is to say why it's
happening. The CF contains a lot of stuff that appears to just be
parked there, so evidently reasons exist.

But if we are to guess what those reasons might be, Tom has already
admitted he does that for CI, and I do the same, so probably other
people also do it. I also suspect that some people are essentially
using the CF app as a personal todo list. By sticking patches in there
that they intend to commit next cycle, they both (1) feel virtuous,
because they give at least the appearance of following the community
process and inviting review before they commit and (2) avoid losing
track of the stuff they plan to commit.

There may be other reasons, too.

--
Robert Haas