On 17.05.24 05:31, Peter Smith wrote:
I think we should accept your two patches

v6-0001-GUC-names-docs.patch
v6-0002-GUC-names-add-quotes.patch

which effectively everyone was in favor of and which seem to be the most
robust and sustainable solution.

(The remaining three patches from the v6 set would be PG18 material at
this point.)
Thanks very much for taking an interest in resurrecting this thread.

It was always my intention to come back to this when the dust had
settled on PG17. But it would be even better if the docs for the rule
"just quote everything", and anything else you deem acceptable, can be
pushed sooner.

Of course, there will still be plenty more to do for PG18, including
locating examples in newly pushed code for messages that have slipped
through the cracks during the last few months using different formats,
and other improvements, but those tasks should become easier if we can
get some of these v6 patches out of the way first.

I committed your 0001 and 0002 now, with some small fixes.

There has also been quite a bit of new code, of course, since you posted your patches, so we'll probably find a few more things that could use adjustment.

I'd be happy to consider the rest of your patch set after beta1 and/or for PG18.