On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 2:42 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to summarize, apart from BF failures for which we had some
> discussion, I could recall the following open points:
>
> 1. After promotion, the pre-existing replication objects should be
> removed (either optionally or always), otherwise, it can lead to a new
> subscriber not being able to restart or getting some unwarranted data.
> [1][2].
>
> 2. Retaining synced slots on new subscribers can lead to unnecessary
> WAL retention and dead rows [3].
>
> 3. We need to consider whether some of the messages displayed in
> --dry-run mode are useful or not [4].

Amit, thanks for summarzing your understanding of the situation. Tom,
is this list complete, to your knowledge? The original thread is quite
complex and it's hard to pick out what the open items actually are.
:-(

I would like to see this open item broken up into multiple open items,
one per issue.

Link [4] goes to a message that doesn't seem to relate to --dry-run.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com