Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
> On 2018-07-11 12:56:49 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> Yeah, it is good practice to drop the objects at the end.  It is
>> strange that original commit adfb81d9e1 has this at the end of the
>> test, but a later commit 367b99bbb1 by Tom has removed the Drop
>> statement.  AFAICS, this is just a silly mistake, but I might be
>> missing something.  Tom, do you remember any reason for doing so?  If
>> not, then I think we can revert back that change (aka commit Kuntal's
>> patch).

> We actually sometimes intentionally want to persist objects past the end
> of the test. Allows to test pg_dump / pg_upgrade. Don't know whether
> that's the case here, but it's worthwhile to note.

I don't think our pg_dump testbed makes any use of contrib regression
tests, so that's not the reason here.  I believe I took out the DROP
because it made it impossible to do additional manual tests after the end
of an installcheck run without laboriously re-creating the test table.

In other words, I disagree with Amit's opinion that it's good practice
to drop everything at the end of a test script.  There are often good
reasons to leave the objects available for later use.

                        regards, tom lane