On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 01:31:57AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> First, as Hari-san said, starting the server with "pg_ctl start" on
> the command prompt does not feel like production use but like test
> environment,  and that usage seems mostly interactive.  Second, the
> current PostgreSQL is not exempt from the same problem: if postmaster
> or standalone backend crashes before main(), the pop up would appear.

When you use pg_ctl start within the command prompt, then closing the
prompt session also causes Postgres to stop immediately.  Would it be a
problem?

Another question I have is that I have seen Postgres fail to start
because of missing dependent libraries, which happened after the
postmaster startup as this was reported in the logs, could it be a
problem with this patch?  If the system waits for an operator to close
this pop-up window, then it becomes harder to check automatically such
failures and relies on the test application to timeout, if it is wise
enough to do, which is not always the case..
--
Michael