On 2018-Jul-12, Amit Langote wrote:

> On 2018/07/12 2:33, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Yeah, any domain constraints added before won't be a problem.  Another
> > angle on this problem is to verify partition bounds against the domain
> > constraint being added; if they all pass, there's no reason to reject
> > the constraint.
>
> That's an idea.  It's not clear to me how easy it is to get hold of all
> the partition bounds that contain domain values.  How do we get from the
> domain on which a constraint is being added to the relpartbound which
> would contain the partition bound value of the domain?

Well, we already get all table columns using a domain when the domain
gets a new constraint; I suppose it's just a matter of verifying for
each column whether it's part of the partition key, and then drill down
from there.  (I'm not really familiar with that part of the catalog.)

> > Actually, here's another problem: why are we letting a column on a
> > domain become partition key, if you'll never be able to create a
> > partition?  It seems that for pg11 the right reaction is to check
> > the partition key and reject this case.
>
> Yeah, that seems much safer, and given how things stand today, no users
> would complain if we do this.

Agreed.

> > I'm not sure of this implementation -- I couldn't find any case where we
> > reject the deletion on the function called from doDeletion (and we don't
> > have a preliminary phase on which to check for this, either).  Maybe we
> > need a pg_depend entry to prevent this, though it seems a little silly.
> > Maybe we should add a preliminary verification phase in
> > deleteObjectsInList(), where we invoke object-type-specific checks.
>
> Doing pre-check based fix had crossed my mind, but I didn't try hard to
> pursue it.  If we decide to just prevent domain partition keys, we don't
> need to try too hard now to come up with a nice implementation for this,
> right?

Absolutely.