Hi,

On 2018-08-29 14:00:12 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> A couple thoughts after reading and reflecting for awhile:

Thanks. This definitely is too complicated for a single brain :(

> 1. I don't much like the pending_rebuilds list, mainly because of this
> consideration: what happens if we hit an OOM error trying to add an entry
> to that list?  As you've drafted the patch, we don't even mark the
> relevant relcache entry rd_invalid before that fails, so that's surely
> bad.  Now, I'm not sure how bulletproof relcache inval is in general
> with respect to OOM failures, but let's not add more hazards.

Obviously you're right and we first need to mark the entry as invalid -
and I think that should also mostly [1] address the OOM issue. If we
error out there's no need to eagerly rebuild the entry during
invalidation - subsequent RelationIdGetRelation() calls will trigger the
necessary rebuild.

But it sounds like your concern might be larger?  I don't quite see how
we could get around without such a list?  I mean I think it'd better if
it were an array, for efficiency, but that seems like a fairly minor
point?

[1] I'm kinda doubful that's entirely bulletproof in case an OOM, or
    similar, error is caught with a savepoint, and then execution
    continues outside. That in turn might access the relcache entry
    without a RelationIdGetRelation call. But that doesn't seem new.

> 2. I think we may need to address the same order-of-operations hazards
> as RelationCacheInvalidate() worries about.  Alternatively, maybe we
> could simplify that function by making it use the same
> delayed-revalidation logic as we're going to develop for this.

Hm, just to make sure I understand correctly: You're thinking about
having to rebuild various nailed entries in a specific order [2]?  I'm
not quite sure I really see a problem here - in contrast to the current
RelationCacheInvalidate() logic, what I'm proposing marks the entries as
invalid in the first phase, so any later access guarantees will rebuild
the entry as necessary.

[2] Hm, I'm right now a bit confused as to why "Other nailed relations
go to the front of rebuildList" is a good idea. That means they might be
built while ClassOidIndexId isn't yet rebuilt?  Practically I don't
think it matters, because the lookup for RelationRelationId will rebuild
it, but I don't quite understand what that logic is precisely getting
at.

> 3. I don't at all like the ProcessPendingRelcacheRebuilds call you added
> to ProcessInvalidationMessages.  That's effectively assuming that the
> "func" *must* be LocalExecuteInvalidationMessage and not anything else;
> likewise, the lack of such a call inside ProcessInvalidationMessagesMulti
> presumes that that one is never called to actually execute invalidations.
> (While those are true statements, it's a horrible violation of modularity
> for these two functions to know it.)  Probably better to put this into the
> callers, which will know what the actual semantics are.

Yea, I mostly hacked this together quickly to have a proposal on the
table, I'm not happy with this as it stands.

> 4. The call added to the middle of ReceiveSharedInvalidMessages doesn't
> seem all that safe either; the problem is its relationship to the
> "catchup" processing.  We are caught up at the moment we exit the loop,
> but are we sure we still would be after doing assorted work for relcache
> rebuild?  Swapping the order of the two steps might help, but then we
> have to consider what happens if we error out from SICleanupQueue.

I'm not sure I understand the problem here. If there's new invalidation
processing inside the rebuilds, that'd mean there was another
ReceiveSharedInvalidMessages, which then would have triggered the "new"
ReceiveSharedInvalidMessages, to then process the new pending why I made
ProcessPendingRelcacheRebuilds() unlink the queue it processes first.  I
think locking should prevent issues with entries that are currently
accessed during rebuild from being re-invalidated.

Did I misunderstand?

As the comment in ProcessPendingRelcacheRebuilds() notes, I'm concerned
what happens if we error out after unlinking the current pending
items. But I think, if we handle the memory leak with a PG_CATCH, that
should be ok, because after the error new accesses should trigger the
rebuilds.

> (In general, the hard part of all this stuff is being sure that sane
> things happen if you error out part way through ...)

Yea :/

Greetings,

Andres Freund