On 2018/08/30 10:09, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: Amit Langote [mailto:langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp]
>> I measured the gain in performance due to each patch on a modest virtual
>> machine.  Details of the measurement and results follow.
>
> Amazing!

Thanks.

> UPDATE
>> nparts  master    0001   0002   0003
>> ======  ======    ====   ====   ====
>> 0         2856    2893   2862   2816
>> 8          507    1115   1447   1872
>
> SELECT
>> nparts  master    0001   0002   0003
>> ======  ======    ====   ====   ====
>> 0         2290    2329   2319   2268
>> 8         1058    1077   1414   1788
>
> Even a small number of partitions still introduces a not-small overhead
> (UPDATE:34%, SELECT:22%).

Yeah, that's true.

> Do you think this overhead can be reduced further?

We can definitely try, but I'm not immediately sure if the further
improvements will come from continuing to fix the planner.  Maybe, the
overhead of partitioning could be attributed to other parts of the system.

> What part do you guess would be relevant?  This one?
>
>> that it is now performed after pruning. However, it doesn't do anything
>> about the fact that partitions are all still locked in the earlier phase.

Actually, I wrote that for patch 0002.  The next patch (0003) is meant to
fix that.  So, the overhead you're seeing is even after making sure that
only the selected partitions are locked.

Thanks,
Amit