On 9/24/26 9:29 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Chao Li <[email protected]> writes:
On Sep 23, 2026, at 17:44, Yuhang Qiu <[email protected]> wrote:
For configuration parameters that can be reloaded, administrators often need
to perform two steps in succession:
```sql
ALTER SYSTEM SET work_mem = '64MB';
SELECT pg_reload_conf();
```

I propose adding `ALTER SYSTEM RELOAD`, so the sequence can be written as:
```sql
ALTER SYSTEM SET work_mem = '64MB';
ALTER SYSTEM RELOAD;
```

Thanks for the patch. After reading it, I have a concern. pg_reload_conf() 
relies on normal function privileges, so a super user can grant EXECUTE on it 
to a non-superuser. With this patch, the two interfaces for doing essentially 
the same thing would have different privilege models:

I'm pretty down on this proposal even without the privilege question.
"There's more than one way to do it" isn't a great thing for
security-relevant operations, and this surely is one.

+1

I do not see how this adds anything worth the increased maintenance burden. How to reload the config is clearly discoverable in the docs for ALTER SYSTEM.

Andreas



Reply via email to