On 2026-Sep-29, Manu wrote: > I'd be glad to put a patch together once there's a sense of the > preferred direction. The partial index is the smallest change, but > whether a new catalog index is the way to go, versus the pg_depend > lookup or the trigger-based early exit, is more your and the > committers' call. Happy to test any of them against the reproducer.
I vaguely recall looking into adding such an index, and finding out that we don't support partial indexes on catalogs. Is that doable in some clean way nowadays? (Or maybe the index worked fine, and what failed was adding a syscache on top of it? Not sure.) I first mentioned this in 2019 ... https://postgr.es/m/[email protected] -- Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/ "Drawing in linguistics, Makefiles are more like proto languages, where you might identify a few fragments but otherwise never be sure if the speaker asked for a proto sandwich or all your money." (grmnsftphr, https://lwn.net/Articles/1093871/)
