Hi, On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 9:21 AM Nathan Bossart <[email protected]> wrote: > > On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 08:37:00AM -0700, Bharath Rupireddy wrote: > > I implemented the above approach, pg_upgrade skipping them without any > > option and emitting info about the skipped ones. I ensured the CI is > > happy. Please find the attached v2 patch. > > Thanks. IMHO we shouldn't bother adding a note to pg_upgrade's > documentation, or even emitting warnings when pg_upgrade skips invalid > databases. For all intents and purposes, the database is already dropped > (for some definition of "dropped"), and there's nothing actionable for the > user.
Thanks for looking at it. Upon thinking more on this, I agree on both. Unless there are objections, I will drop the warning and the doc note in the next version. Once pg_upgrade skips invalid databases, the user has no action to take. Even if the user reverts to the old cluster, the invalid databases are still there. I also think not reporting them matches what other tools do, like pg_dumpall (dumpDatabases()), vacuumdb (vacuum_all_databases()), reindexdb (reindex_all_databases()), etc. They skip invalid databases without emitting any info, and their docs don't mention it either. -- Bharath Rupireddy Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com
