On 11/6/18 10:54 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip. I am unsuccessful using it, though:
>>> # ALTER INDEX public.schedulecard_overlap_idx SET (recheck_on_update =
>>> FALSE);
>>> ERROR:  unrecognized parameter "recheck_on_update"
>>
>> Oh, for crying out loud.  That's yet a different bug.
>> I'm not sure that it's the fault of the recheck_on_update
>> feature proper though; it might be a pre-existing bug in
>> the reloptions code.  Looks like somebody forgot to list
>> RELOPT_KIND_GIST in RELOPT_KIND_INDEX, but is that the
>> fault of commit c203d6cf8 or was it busted before?
>
> Looks new:
> +   RELOPT_KIND_INDEX =
> RELOPT_KIND_BTREE|RELOPT_KIND_HASH|RELOPT_KIND_GIN|RELOPT_KIND_SPGIST,
>
> there aren't any other "for all indexes" type options, so the whole
> category didn't exist before.
>
> It also strikes me as a really bad idea, even if RELOPT_KIND_GIST
> wouldn't have been omitted: It breaks index am extensibility.

Does it? The RELOPT_KIND_* stuff is hard-coded in reloptions.h anyway,
so I'm not sure how this particular thing makes it less extensible?

That being said, we also have RELOPT_KIND_BRIN, and that seems to be
missing from RELOPT_KIND_INDEX too (and AFAICS the optimization works
for all index types).

regards