On 11/29/2018 10:47 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On 2018-Nov-28, Tom Lane wrote:

Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On 2018-Nov-28, Tom Lane wrote:
This would also entail rather significant overhead to find out schema
names and interpolate them into the text.
True.  I was thinking that the qualified-names version of the query
would be obtained via ruleutils or some similar mechanism to deparse
from the parsed query tree (not from the original query text), where
only pg_catalog is considered visible.  This would be enabled using a
GUC that defaults to off.
Color me skeptical --- ruleutils has never especially been designed
to be fast, and I can't see that the overhead of this is going to be
acceptable to anybody who needs pg_stat_statements in production.
(Some admittedly rough experiments suggest that we might be
talking about an order-of-magnitude slowdown for simple queries.)
Good point.

Maybe we can save the OID array of schemas that are in search_path when
the query is first entered into the statement pool, and produce the
query_qn column only at the time the entry is interpreted (that is, when
pg_stat_statements is query).  ... oh, but that requires saving the plan
tree too, which doesn't sound very convenient.

Maybe just storing the search_path schemas (as Tomas already suggested)
is sufficient for Sergei's use case?  Do away with query_qn as such, and
just have the user interpret the names according to the stored
search_path.

I thought about just saving the search_path. It has all the necessary information for a DBA or a developer, but creates problems for reporting tools. If we have the new query_qn column then we can group statistics by query_qn and display it on the charts and graphs. If instead we use a combination of query and search_path then a reporting tools has to figure out the way to show both values to distinguish between
different versions of query.

If it is easier/faster to add search_path then let's add search_path instead of query_qn. It is already documented that query text isn't unique by itself, and reporting tools have to use query+queryid for uniqueness, and search_path will provide the currently unavailable information to the DBAs/developers.
Good.