On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:16 AM Ashwin Agrawal <aagra...@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Would like to know more specifics on this Peter. We may be having different
> context on hybrid row/column design.

I'm confused about how close your idea of a TID is to the traditional
definition from heapam (and even zheap). If it's a purely logical
identifier, then why would it have two components like a TID? Is that
just a short-term convenience or something?

> Yes, the plan to optimize out TID space per datum, either by prefix
> compression or delta compression or some other trick.

It would be easier to do this if you knew for sure that the TID
behaves almost the same as a bigserial column -- a purely logical
monotonically increasing identifier. That's why I'm interested in what
exactly you mean by TID, the stability of a TID value, etc. If a leaf
page almost always stores a range covering no more than few hundred
contiguous logical values,  you can justify aggressively compressing
the representation in the B-Tree entries. Compression would still be
based on prefix compression, but the representation itself can be
specialized.

--
Peter Geoghegan