On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:04:30AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
OK. Attached is a patch ditching the alignment in serialized data. I've
ditched the macros to access parts of serialized data, and everything
gets copied.

I lack energy to actually read this patch right now, and I don't currently
have an opinion about whether it's worth another catversion bump to fix
this stuff in v12.  But I did test the patch, and I can confirm it gets
through the core regression tests on hppa (both gaur's host environment
with gcc 3.4.6, and the OpenBSD installation with gcc 4.2.1).

Thanks for running it through regression tests, that alone is a very
useful piece of information for me.

As for the catversion bump - I'd probably vote to do it. Not just because
of this serialization stuff, but to fix the pg_mcv_list_items function.
It's not something I'm very enthusiastic about (kinda embarassed about it,
really), but it seems better than shipping something that we'll need to
rework in PG13.

regards