Sorry in advance for link-breaking message, but the original mail was
too old and gmail doesn't allow me to craft required headers to link
to it.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKm4Xs71Ma8bV1fY6Gfz9Mg3AKmiHuoJNpxeDVF_KTVOKoy1WQ%40mail.gmail.com

> Please find the proposed patch for review. I will attach it to
> commitfest as well

Pacemaker suffers the same thing. We suggest our customers that "start
server alone to perform recovery then start pacemaker if it is
expected to take a long time for recovery so that reaches time out".

I don't think it is good think to let status SERVICE_RUNNING although
it actually is not (yet). I think the right direction here is that, if
pg_ctl returns by timeout, pgwin32_ServiceMain kills the starting
server then report something like "timedout and server was stopped,
please make sure the server not to take a long time to perform
recovery.".

Thougts?

regards.

--