On 2019-07-23 17:30, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> The reason for moving is that we print default values in usage(), and that
> requires the value to be computed before calling usage().  We already do this
> for resolving environment values in parseCommandLine().  If we do it in setup,
> then we’d have to split out resolving the new_cluster.bindir into it’s own
> function exposed to option.c, or do you have any other suggestions there?

I think doing nontrivial work in order to print default values in
usage() is bad practice, because in unfortunate cases it would even
prevent you from calling --help.  Also, in this case, it would probably
very often exceed the typical line length of --help output and create
some general ugliness.  Writing something like "(default: same as this
pg_upgrade)" would probably achieve just about the same.