On Sat, July 20, 2019 8:12 AM (GMT+9), Tomas Vondra wrote:

> >+            /* XXX What if the target is set to 0? Reset the statistic?
> */
> >
> >This also makes me wonder. I haven't looked deeply into the code, but
> >since 0 is a valid value, I believe it should reset the stats.
>
> I agree resetting the stats after setting the target to 0 seems quite
> reasonable. But that's not what we do for attribute stats, because in that
> case we simply skip the attribute during the future ANALYZE runs - we don't
> reset the stats, we keep the existing stats. So I've done the same thing here,
> and I've removed the XXX comment.
>
> If we want to change that, I'd do it in a separate patch for both the regular
> and extended stats.

Hi, Tomas

Sorry for my late reply.
You're right. I have no strong opinion whether we'd want to change that
behavior.
I've also confirmed the change in the patch where setting statistics target 0
skips the statistics.

Maybe only some minor nitpicks in the source code comments below:
1. "it's" should be "its":
> +              * Compute statistic target, based on what's set for the
> statistic
> +              * object itself, and for it's attributes.

2. Consistency whether you'd use either "statistic " or "statisticS ".
Ex. statistic target vs statisticS target, statistics object vs statistic
object, etc.

> Attached is v4 of the patch, with a couple more improvements:
>
> 1) I've renamed the if_not_exists flag to missing_ok, because that's more
> consistent with the "IF EXISTS" clause in the grammar (the old flag was kinda
> the exact opposite), and I've added a NOTICE about the skip.

+       bool            missing_ok;      /* do nothing if statistics does not
exist */

Confirmed. So we ignore if statistic does not exist, and skip the error.
Maybe to make it consistent with other data structures in parsernodes.h,
you can change the comment of missing_ok to:
/* skip error if statistics object does not exist */

> 2) I've renamed ComputeExtStatsTarget to ComputeExtStatsRows, because that's
> what the function was doing anyway (computing sample size).
>
> 3) I've added a couple of regression tests to stats_ext.sql
>
> Aside from that, I've cleaned up a couple of places and improved a bunch of
> comments. Nothing huge.

I have a question though regarding ComputeExtStatisticsRows.
I'm just curious with the value 300 when computing sample size.
Where did this value come from?

+       /* compute sample size based on the statistic target */
+       return (300 * result);

Overall, the patch is almost already in good shape for commit.
I'll wait for the next update.

Regards,
Kirk Jamison