> > The people who expressed opinions on nuking triggers from orbit (it's
> the only way to be sure) have yet to offer up any guidance on how to
> proceed from here, and I suspect it's because they're all very busy getting
> things ready for v12. I definitely have an interest in working on this for
> 13, but I don't feel good about striking out on my own without their input.
>
> Very interesting thread, but the current patch has been through two
> CFs without comments or new patches, so I'm going to mark it "Returned
> with feedback".  I hope all this discussion will trigger more research
> in this space.

I've noticed that the zedstore efforts ran into the same problem that
refactoring triggers has: we cannot determine which columns in a table will
be affected by a trigger. so we have to assume that all of them will be.
This causes a lot of unnecessary overhead with triggers. If we had a
compilation step for triggers (which, ultimately means a compilation step
for procedures) which kept a dependency tree of which tables/columns were
touched, then we would have that insight. it's true that one dynamic
statement or SELECT * would force us right back to keep-everything, but if
procedures which did not do such things had performance benefits, that
would be an incentive to code them more fastidiously.