On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 1:49 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Maybe s/make a/start with/ ?

> Also, once people start doing this, it'd be unfriendly to suggest
> 9099 if 9100 is already committed.  There should be some attention
> to *how many* consecutive free OIDs will be available if one starts
> at the suggestion.

How about this wording?:

Patches should use a more-or-less consecutive range of OIDs.
Best practice is to start with a random choice in the range 8000-9999.
Suggested random unused OID: 9591 (409 consecutive OID(s) available
starting here)

Attached is v3, which implements your suggestion, generating output
like the above. I haven't written a line of Perl in my life prior to
today, so basic code review would be helpful.

--
Peter Geoghegan