On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 9:40 AM Peter Eisentraut <
peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I find the time displays like
>
>     01:03 ago
>
> on the buildfarm status page unhelpful.
>
> First, I can never tell whether this is hours-minutes or minutes-seconds
> -- there is probably a less ambiguous format available.
>
> But more importantly, the page doesn't say when it was generated, so a
> relative time like this is meaningless.  The page might have most
> recently reloaded last night.  That means when I look at the page, I
> *always* have to reload it first to make sense of the times.
>
> I notice that the page source actually includes absolute times that are
> then converted to relative using some JavaScript.  Could we perhaps just
> turn that off?  Or preferably convert to local time.  I can much easier
> make sense of an absolute local time: I can compare that to the clock in
> the corner of the screen, and I can compare that, say, to a commit
> timestamp.

It used to be that the "ago" part was generated on the server, but Andrew
changed that to the fixed timestamp + javascript to improve cachability and
thus performance. Perhaps now that it's that it could be as easy as adding
a checkbox to the page (which could remember your preference in a cookie)
that switches between the two modes?

--
 Magnus Hagander