pá 23. 8. 2019 v 11:05 odesílatel Konstantin Knizhnik <
k.knizh...@postgrespro.ru> napsal:

> On 22.08.2019 18:56, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>

> čt 22. 8. 2019 v 17:51 odesílatel Konstantin Knizhnik <
> k.knizh...@postgrespro.ru> napsal:
>
>> Some more information...
>> First of all I found out that marking PL/pgSQL function as immutable
>> significantly increase speed of its execution:
>> 19808 ms vs. 27594. It happens because exec_eval_simple_expr is taken
>> snapshot if function is volatile (default).
>> I wonder if PL/pgSQL compiler can detect that evaluated expression itself
>> is actually immutable  and there is no need to take snapshot
>> for each invocation of this function. Also I have tried yet another PL
>> language - JavaScript, which is now new outsider, despite to the fact that
>> v8 JIT compiler is very good.
>>

> I have a plan to do some work in this direction. Snapshot is not necessary
> for almost buildin functions. If expr calls only buildin functions, then
> probably can be called without snapshot and without any work with plan
> cache.
>

> I wonder if the following simple patch is correct?

You cannot to believe to user defined functions so immutable flag is
correct. Only buildin functions are 100% correct.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo()
RETURNS int AS $$
SELECT count(*) FROM pg_class;
$$ LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE;

is working.

But your patch is good enough for benchmarking.

Pavel