Hey there:
Thanks for the education on the path spec. Too bad it is in a zip doc - do
you know of a place where it is publicly available so we can link to it?
Perhaps there is some document or page you think would be a good reference
read for people who want to understand more?
https://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c067367_ISO_IEC_TR_19075-6_2017.zip

I am uncertain why JSONPath is considered part of the datatype any more so
than string functions are considered part of the character datatype
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/functions-string.html