Hi Peter,

> On 2019-09-27 10:34, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> Also, are you sure this is a new behavior?
>> In v11 or before, if backup_label exists but not recovery.conf,
>> the startup process doesn't enter an archive recovery mode. It starts
>> crash recovery in that case. So the bahavior is somewhat different
>> between versions.
>
> Can you bisect this?  I have traced through xlog.c in both versions and
> I don't see how this logic is any different in any obvious way.

What I've been seeing is that the underlying logic isn't different but
there are more ways to get into it.

Previously, there was no archive/targeted recovery without
recovery.conf, but now there are several ways to get to archive/targeted
recovery, i.e., making the recovery settings GUCs has bypassed controls
that previously had limited how they could be used and when.

The issues on the other thread [1], at least, were all introduced in
2dedf4d9.

-David
da...@pgmasters.net

[1]