On 2019-11-04 15:53, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
No, I'm not proposing a full revert.  But there's certainly room to
consider reverting the part that says you*must*  write "-f -" to get
output to stdout.
I don't think this will buy us anything, if we get past branches updated
promptly.

Users with with hundreds or thousands of servers and various ancient maintenance scripts lying around in hard-to-track ways are not going be able to get everything upgraded to the latest minors *and* new script versions any time soon. Until they do, they are effectively blocked from introducing PG12 into their environment. This is very complicated and risky for them. I think we should revert the part that requires using -f - at least for PG12.