On 2019-11-05 22:16, Robert Haas wrote:
First, I'd like to restate my understanding of the problem just to see
whether I've got the right idea and whether we're all on the same
page. When wal_level=minimal, we sometimes try to skip WAL logging on
newly-created relations in favor of fsync-ing the relation at commit
time.

How useful is this behavior, relative to all the effort required?

Even if the benefit is significant, how many users can accept running with wal_level=minimal and thus without replication or efficient backups?

Is there perhaps an alternative approach involving unlogged tables to get a similar performance benefit?