On 2019-11-26 21:39, Thomas Munro wrote:
On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
The reason for returning an empty string for "C" and "POSIX" is the
following comment for get_collation_actual_version():

  * A particular provider must always either return a non-NULL string or return
  * NULL (if it doesn't support versions).  It must not return NULL for some
  * collcollate and not NULL for others.

I'm not sure why, or if that really makes sense.

Peter E, do you have any thoughts on this question?

Doesn't make sense to me either.

We need to handle the various combinations of null and non-null stored and actual versions, which we do, but that only applies within a given collcollate. I don't think we need the property that that comment calls for.