On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM Ants Aasma <a...@cybertec.at> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 15:21, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't think any extra copying is needed.
> > >

> > I am talking about access to shared memory instead of the process
> > local memory.  I understand that an extra copy won't be required.
> >
> > > The reader can directly
> > > fread()/pq_copymsgbytes() into shared memory, and the workers can run
> > > CopyReadLineText() inner loop directly off of the buffer in shared memory.
> > >

> > I am slightly confused here.  AFAIU, the for(;;) loop in
> > CopyReadLineText is about finding the line endings which we thought
> > that the reader process will do.
>
> Indeed, I somehow misread the code while scanning over it. So CopyReadLineText
> currently copies data from cstate->raw_buf to the StringInfo in
> cstate->line_buf. In parallel mode it would copy it from the shared data
> buffer
> to local line_buf until it hits the line end found by the data reader. The
> amount of copying done is still exactly the same as it is now.

Yeah, on a broader level it will be something like that, but actual
details might vary during implementation.  BTW, have you given any
thoughts on one other approach I have shared above [1]?  We might not
go with that idea, but it is better to discuss different ideas and
evaluate their pros and cons.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1LyAyPCtBk4rkwomeT6%3DyTse5qWws-7i9EFwnUFZhvu5w%40mail.gmail.com

--