On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:29 AM Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks> wrote:
> Well the driver really isn't in the business of changing the semantics of the
> server.

I mean, I just can't agree with that way of characterizing it. It
seems clear enough that the driver not only should not change the
semantics of the server, but that it cannot. It can, however, decide
which of the things that the server might do (or that the application
connected to it might do) ought to result in it throwing an exception.
And a slightly different set of decisions here would produce the
desired behavior instead of behavior which is not desired.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company