Hackers,

as mentioned in [1], I have created an implementation of command counter
statistics very similar in purpose to the one already pending in the commitfest
going by the name "pg_stat_sql".  I don't really care if this implementation is
seen as building on that one or as separate, but I was worried about hijacking
that thread, so I'm starting this thead.  There are elements of this patch that
borrowed from that one, so if this is accepted, authorship should reflect that.

See the work by Haribabu Kommi (haribabu) at
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/27/790/

The two main differences are that

(1) This implementation is based on commandtags as enums, not strings and
(2) This implementation uses techniques to reduce lock contention

I think (2) is the more important part.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/28F46159-3764-421B-904B-004DEA339310%40enterprisedb.com

—