On 3/29/20 8:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:40 PM Noah Misch <n...@leadboat.com> wrote:
I don't see this freed anywhere; is it?  (It's useful to make peak memory
consumption not grow in proportion to the number of files backed up.)

We need the hash table to remain populated for the whole run time of
the tool, because we're essentially doing a full join of the actual
directory contents against the manifest contents. That's a bit
unfortunate but it doesn't seem simple to improve. I think the only
people who are really going to suffer are people who have an enormous
pile of empty or nearly-empty relations. People who have large
databases for the normal reason - i.e. a reasonable number of tables
that hold a lot of data - will have manifests of very manageable size.

+1

--
-David
da...@pgmasters.net