On 2020-04-01 10:25 p.m., Fabien COELHO wrote:

Hello,

FWIW, I don't think so. Generally a trailing backspace is an escape
character for the following newline.  And '\ ' is a escaped space,
which is usualy menas a space itself.

In this case escape character doesn't work generally and I think it is natural that a backslash in the middle of a line is a backslash character itself.

I concur: The backslash char is only a continuation as the very last character of the line, before cr/nl line ending markers.

+Agree. However, it would nice to update the sentence below if I understand it correctly.

"+   Comments, whitespace and continuations are handled in the same way as in" pg_hba.conf

For example, if a user provide a configuration like below (even such a comments is not recommended)

"host    all     all     127.0.0.1/32    trust  #COMMENTS, it works"

i.e. the original pg_hba.conf allows to have comments in each line, but with new continuation introduced, the comments has to be put to the last line.

There are no assumption about backslash escaping, quotes and such, which seems reasonable given the lexing structure of the files, i.e. records of space-separated words, and # line comments.

--
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)