On 4/17/20 11:00 AM, Jeremy Morton wrote:
I am not saying there isn't a use case for something like datetimeoffset, I think that there is. For example in some kind of

Surely the fact that you'll lose data if you try to store a common .NET datatype with any kind of ORM (eg. EF, which is pretty popular) right now, using "the world's most advanced open source relational database", is reason enough to support it?

No, because if PostgreSQL started adding supports for all data types in all standard libraries of all programming languages it would become virtually unusable. What if PostgreSQL shipped with 8 or 9 different timestamp types? How would the users be able to pick which one to use? It is better to have a few types which cover the use cases of most users and then let extension authors add more specialized types.

Andreas