On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:05 PM Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> wrote:
> You can add another assertion that calls a new utility function in
> bufmgr.c. That can use the same logic as this existing assertion in
> FlushOneBuffer():
>
> Assert(LWLockHeldByMe(BufferDescriptorGetContentLock(bufHdr)));
>
> We haven't needed assertions like this so far because it's usually it
> is clear whether or not a buffer lock is held (plus the bufmgr.c
> assertions help on their own).

Just in case anybody missed it, I am working on a patch that makes
nbtree use Valgrind instrumentation to detect page accessed without a
buffer content lock held:

https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkLgyN3zBvRZ1pkNJThC=xi_0gpwrub_45eexlh1+k...@mail.gmail.com

There is also one component that detects when any buffer is accessed
without a buffer pin.

--
Peter Geoghegan