On 2020-05-20 15:56, Tom Lane wrote:
On a closely related point: I was confused for awhile on Monday
afternoon, wondering why the built tarballs didn't match my local
tree.  I eventually realized that when I'd run pgindent on Saturday,
it had reformatted some generated files such as
src/bin/psql/sql_help.h, causing those not to match the freshly-made
ones in the tarball.  I wonder if we should make an effort to ensure
that our generated .h and .c files always satisfy pgindent.

We should generally try to do that, if only so that they don't appear weird and random when looking at them.

I think in the past it would have been very difficult for a generation script to emulate pgindent's weird un-indentation logic on trailing lines, but that shouldn't be a problem anymore.