On 2020/06/19 0:22, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:41 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fu...@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
ISTM that a clean switchover is possible without "ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY".
What about the following procedure?

1. Demote the primary to a standby. Then this demoted standby is read-only.
2. The orignal standby automatically establishes the cascading replication
     connection with the demoted standby.
3. Wait for all the WAL records available in the demoted standby to be streamed
     to the orignal standby.
4. Promote the original standby to new primary.
5. Change primary_conninfo in the demoted standby so that it establishes
     the replication connection with new primary.

So it seems enough to implement "demote" feature for a clean switchover.

There's something to that idea. I think it somewhat depends on how
invasive the various operations are. For example, I'm not really sure
how feasible it is to demote without a full server restart that kicks
out all sessions. If that is required, it's a significant disadvantage
compared to ASRO.

Even with ASRO, the server restart is necessary and RO sessions are
kicked out when demoting RO primary to a standby, i.e., during a clean
switchover?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters