On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:31:13PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Also, I was reminded by Tom's c410af098 about this comment:
>
>                  * Further note: At least on some platforms, passing %*s
> rather than
>                  * %s to appendStringInfo() is substantially slower, so many
> of the
>                  * cases below avoid doing that unless non-zero padding is in
> fact
>                  * specified.
>
> It seems we can remove that hack and avoid its spiriling conditionals.
> It's cleaner to make that 0001.

Not sure what 0001 is doing on this thread, so I would suggest to
create a new thread for that to attract the correct audience.  It is
true that we should not need that anymore as we use our own
implementation of sprintf now.

For now, I have taken 0002 as a base, fixed a couple of things (doc
tweaks, removed unnecessary header inclusion, etc.), and committed it,
meaning that we are done here.
--
Michael