> >> +    return (ia->lower > ib->lower) ? 1 : -1;
> >> +}
> >
> > We're only dealing with leaf items during index build, so the 'upper'
> and 'lower' should always be equal here, right? Maybe add a comment and an
> assertion on that.
> >
> > (It's pretty sad that the on-disk representation is identical for leaf
> and internal items, because that wastes a lot of disk space, but that's way
> out of scope for this patch.)
>
> Thanks, I've added assert() where is was easy to test equalty.
>
> PFA patch with all types.
>
> I had a plan to implement and test one type each day. I did not quite
> understood how rich our type system is.

Cool, thanks!

BTW there is a somewhat parallel discussion on this gist patch in
pgsql-bugs which you may miss
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/3dda6945-c147-5afc-7720-38ec6848dafa%40gmail.com#9be5b8a75c4921498748514cb77c6e68

The main point is that buffering build is better to be enforced with
buffering=on
as otherwise buffering build becomes hard to test in the presence of sort
support.

--
Best regards,
Pavel Borisov