On 2020-10-17 17:58, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
Forgetting to assign the return value of list APIs such as lappend() is
a perennial favorite.  The compiler can help point out such mistakes.
GCC has an attribute warn_unused_results.  Also C++ has standardized
this under the name "nodiscard", and C has a proposal to do the same
[0].  In my patch I call the symbol pg_nodiscard, so that perhaps in a
distant future one only has to do s/pg_nodiscard/nodiscard/ or something
similar.  Also, the name is short enough that it doesn't mess up the
formatting of function declarations too much.

+1 in principle (I've not read the patch in detail); but I wonder what
pgindent does with these added keywords.

pgindent doesn't seem to want to change anything about the patched files as I had sent them.