Hi,

On 18.01.21 23:42, Tom Lane wrote:
David Geier<da...@swarm64.com>  writes:
On 18.01.21 19:46, Tom Lane wrote:
Hm.  I agree that we shouldn't simply assume that ss_currentRelation
isn't null.  However, we cannot make search_plan_tree() descend
through non-leaf CustomScan nodes, because we don't know what processing
is involved there.  We need to find a scan that is guaranteed to return
rows that are one-to-one with the cursor output.  This is why the function
doesn't descend through join or aggregation nodes, and I see no argument
by which we should assume we know more about what a customscan node will
do than we know about those.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
OK, cool.  I was afraid you'd argue that you really needed your CustomScan
node to be transparent in such cases.  We could imagine inventing an
additional custom-scan-provider callback to embed the necessary knowledge,
but I'd rather not add the complexity until someone has a use-case.

I was thinking about that. Generally, having such possibility would be very useful. Unfortunately, I believe that in my specific case even having such functionality wouldn't allow for the query to work with CURRENT OF, because my CSP behaves similarly to a materialize node.

My understanding is only such plans are supported which consist of nodes that guarantee that the tuple returned by the plan is the unmodified tuple a scan leaf node is currently positioned on?

Still, if there's interest I would be happy to draft a patch. Instead of a separate CSP callback, we could also provide an additional flag like CUSTOMPATH_SUPPORT_CURRENT_OF. The advantage of the callback would be that we could delay the decision until execution time where potentially more information is available.
I updated the patch to match your proposal.
WFM, will push in a bit.

                        regards, tom lane
Best regards,
David