Hi Mark,

> On 08. Mar, 2021, at 16:39, Mark Dilger <mark.dil...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> Fortunately, the man pages and html docs are generated from the same sources.
>  Those sources are written in sgml, and the tools to build the docs must be
> installed.  From the top directory, execute `make docs` and if it complains
> about missing tools you will need to install them.  (The build target is
> 'docs', but the directory containing the docs is named 'doc'.)

so the help files I'd change would be doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml,
doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_isready.sgml, etc.?

> Oh, I'm quite sorry to hear that.  The process of getting a patch accepted,
> especially the first time you submit one, can be discouraging.  But the
> community greatly benefits from new contributors joining the effort, so I'd
> much rather you not withdraw the idea.

I'd like to, and also I'd like to do all the bin/* tools (including wrapping
the long line in pg_isready ;-)), as you suggested, but I don't know the
process. In my first admittedly naive attempt, I just downloaded the source
from https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v13.2, unpacked it and made my
changes there. Then I did a diff to the original and posted it here. I don't
even know if this is the correct workflow. I saw gitgub being mentioned a
couple of times but I don't have an account, nor do I even know how it works.

I was pretty surprised to see the lines in PWN:

"Paul Förster sent in a patch to mention database URIs in psql's --help output."
"Paul Förster sent in another revision of a patch to mention URIs and services
in psql --help's output."

Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes how properly create patches, submit
them and possibly get them released? Something like a step-by-step?

Is github a must-have here?

> If you need help with certain portions of the submission, such as editing the
> docs, I can help with that.

as you see above, I'm curious to learn, though doing it to all the tools will
take some time for me.

Sorry, I'm a noob, not so much to C, but to the workflows here. Hence my
questions may seem a little obvious to all the pros.

Cheers,
Paul