On 12/23/20 2:27 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Justin Pryzby (pry...@telsasoft.com) wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 04:14:18PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
* I don't think it's okay to change the existing signatures of
pg_ls_logdir() et al.  Even if you can make an argument that it's
not too harmful to add more output columns, replacing pg_stat_file's
isdir output with something of a different name and datatype is most
surely not OK --- there is no possible way that doesn't break existing
user queries.

I think possibly a more acceptable approach is to leave these functions
alone but add documentation explaining how to get the additional info.
You could say things along the lines of "pg_ls_waldir() is the same as
pg_ls_dir_metadata('pg_wal') except for showing fewer columns."