Hi Dimtry,

On 1/11/21 2:51 AM, Dmitry Shulga wrote:
Hi Stephen

Based on our last discussion I redesigned the implementation of WAL archive recovery speed-up.

Seems like there should have been a patch attached? In any case the current patch no longer applies so marked Waiting on Author.

Personally, I'm not too keen on this patch as implemented. Several third-party backup solutions support parallel archive get so it would be nice to support an interface that simply says to the restore_command, "go get 1gb of WAL and write the files here." This patch still assumes that the user has written their own restore command, which is third-party by definition, so I can't see how interfacing with third-party software is an issue here.

Also, having multiple workers blindly asking for WAL can cause quite a bit of traffic and cost because PG knows what WAL it wants but it doesn't know what exists. On the other hand, a backup solution can cheaply determine what is available to prevent hammering the archive with requests for files that don't exist.

-David
da...@pgmasters.net