On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 9:25 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 12:22 AM Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >
> > And then more generally about the feature:
> > - If a slot was used to stream out a large amount of changes (say an
> >   initial data load), but then replication is interrupted before the
> >   transaction is committed/aborted, stream_bytes will not reflect the
> >   many gigabytes of data we may have sent.
> >

> We can probably update the stats each time we spilled or streamed the
> transaction data but it was not clear at that stage whether or how
> much it will be useful.
>
> > - I seems weird that we went to the trouble of inventing replication
> >   slot stats, but then limit them to logical slots, and even there don't
> >   record the obvious things like the total amount of data sent.
> >

> Won't spill_bytes and stream_bytes will give you the amount of data sent?
>

> > I think the best way to address the more fundamental "pgstat related"
> > complaints is to change how replication slot stats are
> > "addressed". Instead of using the slots name, report stats using the
> > index in ReplicationSlotCtl->replication_slots.
> >
> > That removes the risk of running out of "replication slot stat slots":
> > If we loose a drop message, the index eventually will be reused and we
> > likely can detect that the stats were for a different slot by comparing
> > the slot name.
> >

> This idea is worth exploring to address the complaints but what do we
> do when we detect that the stats are from the different slot? It has
> mixed of stats from the old and new slot. We need to probably reset it
> after we detect that.

What if the user created a slot with the same name after dropping the
slot and it has used the same index. I think chances are less but
still a possibility, but maybe that is okay.

> What if after some frequency (say whenever we
> run out of indexes) we check whether the slots we are maintaining is
> pgstat.c have some stale slot entry (entry exists but the actual slot
> is dropped)?

A similar drawback (the user created a slot with the same name after
dropping it) exists with this as well.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.