On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 03:52:35PM +0200, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021, at 15:12, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Maybe I don't understand your proposal well, I am sorry. Creating your own
> > language should not be hard, but in this case the plpgsql is not well
> > extendable. The important structures are private. You can do it, but you
> > should do a full copy of plpgsql. I don't think so you can reuse handler's
> > routines - it is not prepared for it. Unfortunately, the handler expects
> > only function oid and arguments, and there is not a possibility how to pass
> > any options (if I know).
>
> Sorry, let me clarify what I mean.
>
> I mean something along the lines of adding a new nullable column to
> "pg_language", maybe "lanroutinelabel"?
> All other columns (lanispl, lanpltrusted, lanplcallfoid, laninline,
> lanvalidator) would reuse the same values as plpgsql.

It doesn't seem like a good way to handle some customization of existing
language.  It's too specialized and soon people will ask for fields to change
the default behavior of many other things and a default "routine label" may not
make sense in all languages.  If we were to do that we should probably add a
new function that would be called to setup all language specific stuff that
users may want to change.