On 21.06.21 07:22, Thomas Munro wrote:
I'm not personally against the proposed change.  I'll admit there is
something annoying about Apple's environment working in a way that
doesn't suit traditional configure macros that have been the basis of
portable software for a few decades, but when all's said and done,
configure is a Unix wars era way to make things work across all the
Unixes, and most of them are long gone, configure itself is on the way
out, and Apple's still here, so...

I think this change is perfectly appropriate (modulo some small cleanups).

The objection was that you cannot reliably use AC_CHECK_FUNCS (and therefore AC_REPLACE_FUNCS) anymore, but that has always been true, since AC_CHECK_FUNCS doesn't handle macros, compiler built-ins, and functions that are not declared, and any other situation where looking for a symbol in a library is not the same as checking whether the symbol actual works for your purpose. This is not too different from the long transition from "does this header file exists" to "can I compile this header file".

So in fact the correct way forward would be to get rid of all uses of AC_CHECK_FUNCS and related, and then this problem goes away by itself.