On 9/1/21 9:38 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 06:45:29PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
Patch 0001 fixes the "double parens" issue discussed elsewhere in this
thread, and patch 0002 tweaks CREATE STATISTICS to treat "(a)" as a simple
column reference.

0002 refuses to create expressional stats on a simple column reference like
(a), which I think is helps to avoid a user accidentally creating useless ext
stats objects (which are redundant with the table's column stats).

0002 does not attempt to refuse cases like (a+0), which I think is fine:
we don't try to reject useless cases if someone insists on it.
See 240971675, 701fd0bbc.

So I am +1 to apply both patches.

I added this as an Opened Item for increased visibility.

I've pushed both fixes, so the open item should be resolved.

Thank you - I marked it as such.

There are some typos in 537ca68db (refenrece)
I'll add them to my typos branch if you don't want to patch them right now or
wait to see if someone notices anything else.

Yeah, probably better to wait a bit. Any opinions on rejecting expressions referencing system attributes or no attributes at all?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company