On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

It would also be good to make --enable-debug the default.

The last time I did a build with both --enable-debug and --enable-cassert, I was seeing pgbench results that were significantly (around 40% I think) slower than without those two. I never circled back to assigning blame to the individual options, but I'd suggest some caution here before turning one of these on by default. I'd want to see benchmarking on a couple of platforms to prove that it doesn't slow things down before making such a change.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD