[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert E. Bruccoleri) writes:
> For my immediate problem, would removing the spinlock acquisition
> be OK?

It'd be interesting to remove the marked lines:

            bufHdr = &BufferDescriptors[buffer - 1];
-           SpinAcquire(BufMgrLock);
            if (bufHdr->tag.blockNum == blockNumber &&
                RelFileNodeEquals(bufHdr->tag.rnode, relation->rd_node))
            {
-               SpinRelease(BufMgrLock);
                return buffer;
            }
-           return ReadBufferWithBufferLock(relation, blockNumber, true);

and see how that affects your performance issue, if at all.

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl