Simon Riggs wrote:
That sounds more like what I was after.

So let me check my understanding: For TOASTed data pg_column_size()
tells you how many bytes the column value occupies when decompressed. So
there isn't any way of finding out how many bytes a column value
actually occupies when it is both compressed and external?

I dimly recall getting confused by this when writing this guy:

From what I can see: pg_column_size calls toast_datum_size for any variable length attribute - and then gets the external pointer and returns its va_extsize component (which looks to me like the *compressed* size.)

Cheers

Mark

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq